Blogs > Skoop's Blog

In and outs of the political campaigns, focusing on Michigan and Lansing, Tim Skubick will report regularly throughout the primary and then general election campaigns.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Grand Kids Vs. Being Governor

 
      Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson is being urged to run for governor, but in the end family considerations may be the deciding factor.
       Patterson spoke on the second anniversary of the death of his 28-year-old son.
     "When you lose a young man…it changes your whole perspective.  Politics is not the end all and be all while we're here," he reflects.
       He notes that he has eight grand children, "Who think I'm pretty cool," he smiles. Clearly that aspect of his decision-making process weighs heavily on the 70 year-old would-be candidate especially on that anniversary date.
      "I'm not prepared to sacrifice so much t ime that I separate myself from the family I have left," he confesses.
       So if it is a choice between kids and doing every Kiwanis's club between Monroe and Marquette, you'll pick the kids?
       "I will," he admits adding, "I've got a lot of mulling over to do."
         In another interview the same day he conceded he wanted to be governor but didn't want to run to be governor.  That fits just about every potential candidate.  The slog to get to the front office is just that.
        A source says Patterson is going around saying, "I don't know if I will do it, but what can you do for me" if I do run?
         He still pegs a possible run at only=2 050-50 adding, "I'm certainly not printing any bumper stickers as we speak."
         But he could end up there.  "I'm leaving the door open for a couple more weeks and I'll let you know."
         Then you'll close the door?
          "I'll let you know," he smiles again.
       
      

1 Comments:

Blogger Bean_Sprout said...

I love L. Brooks, but if his heart isn't in a run for Governor, I'd just as soon he didn't....

February 11, 2009 at 6:50 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home